Virginia Capital Semester
Applications for the 2015 Virginia Capital Semester Program will be accepted Aug. 21 to Oct. 13, 2014
Application deadline: October 13
Virginia Capital Semester offers qualified university students the opportunity to experience an internship in the state government while continuing their studies on a full-time basis through course work at Virginia Commonwealth University. Internships are arranged with the legislative and executive branches of Virginia government as well as the advocacy and lobbying organizations associated with Virginia government.
The select group of students participating in the Virginia Capital Semester will assemble weekly in a policy-making seminar to hear from key leaders at the Capitol and to compare experiences from their various internship placements. Students will receive three credits for the internship and three credits for the seminar. In addition, students may take six to nine additional credits from VCU’s wide selection of courses. Along with living and learning in Virginia’s capital city, Virginia Capital Semester students also take part in special events and receive individual advising and housing through VCU.
Virginia Capital Semester includes:
- An internship that runs for the duration of the Virginia General Assembly Session (3 credits)
- A Policy Making Seminar that accompanies the internship (3 credits)
- Additional coursework which is selected by the student according to their individual program requirements.
- Individual advising throughout the spring semester
- Participation in special events
Gay Cutchin, M.S.
Internship Program Coordinator
Scherer Hall, Room 405
Phone: (804) 827-2417