How to Apply

Undergraduate admissions FAQs

What kind of career opportunities does the school offer?

Because the disciplines within the L. Douglas Wilder School of Government and Public Affairs cover a range of social sciences and professional tracks — including criminal justice, economics, political science and urban studies and geography — our students find careers in fields just as diverse in both the public and private sectors. A bachelor’s degree in criminal justice could lead to a position as a corrections officer or a crime scene investigator, while an economics graduate might become a bank examiner or a financial adviser. Political science majors sometimes enter law enforcement as government agents or politics as lobbyists, and students in the urban and regional studies program can use Richmond itself as a laboratory for exploring options leading to employment in public agencies and organizations. And any of these programs provides a broad-based liberal arts education that will leave you well-prepared for pursuing graduate studies.

What if I want to combine my personal interests with my degree?

The school actively fosters and promotes interdisciplinary studies and has close ties with academic programs and research units such as African American Studies, Department of Gender, Sexuality and Women’s Studies, the Center for Public Policy, the Center for Environmental Studies, the Nonprofit Enterprise Institute and others throughout the university. Just check with your adviser or program director to determine the possibilities.

Can I minor in any of the school’s subjects?

Because the disciplines within the L. Douglas Wilder School of Government and Public Affairs cover a broad range of subjects, a minor within the school, the college or other university units is possible. Speak to your adviser and consult the Undergraduate Bulletin for possibilities.

What about accelerated programs?

Select students may take certain graduate-level courses during their senior year as part of an accelerated program. These programs allow qualified students to complete both bachelor’s and master’s degrees in a minimum of five years. For complete details on the program, contact your adviser and see the listings for political science and sociology in the Undergraduate Bulletin.

Is financial aid available to undergraduate students?

There are some financial awards earmarked for undergraduate students offered by both the school and the College of Humanities and Sciences. For complete information on financial aid opportunities, see the Office of Financial Aid website.