How to Apply

Graduate admissions FAQs

What kinds of graduate programs does the school offer?

The L. Douglas Wilder School of Government and Public Affairs offers a variety of graduate educational opportunities for both full-time students and practicing professionals interested in enhancing their skills or pursuing graduate-level work on a part-time basis. Current offerings include three nationally recognized master’s programs and six graduate-level certificates. These programs include master’s degrees in criminal justice, public administration, and urban and regional planning, as well as a number of certificate programs for students who may not wish to pursue a master’s degree.

The Wilder School also offers two dual-degree programs with University of Richmond’s T.C. Williams Law School. Through these programs students can simultaneously obtain a law degree (J.D.) and either the Master of Public Administration or the Master of Urban and Regional Planning. See the Graduate and Professional Programs Bulletin for complete program descriptions and details.

Can I really complete a graduate program studying part time?

Since the school schedules many of its courses in the late afternoon or evening, its programs accommodate both full- and part-time students. Students also may take advantage of courses offered in the summer. Thus, it is possible for a part-time student taking six credit hours per semester to finish the master’s degree in four years or less.

Am I able to transfer graduate credits from another program or institution?

With the consent of the admission committee or program coordinator, a maximum of six semester hours of appropriate graduate credit may be transferred and applied toward the Master of Science in Criminal Justice, the Master of Public Administration, or the Master of Urban and Regional Planning. These hours will not have been credited toward another degree.

Is financial aid available to graduate students?

The Wilder School offers a limited amount of financial assistance for graduate students, including teaching and research assistantships as well as scholarships and fellowships for tuition support. The Richmond area also provides ample opportunity for paid internships. Individuals interested in such assistance are urged to apply by March 1. For complete information on financial aid opportunities, see the Office of Financial Aid website or the Graduate and Professional Programs Bulletin